I decided to make a Halloween arch for the front porch.
Here is how I did it:
I drew what I wanted it to look like.
Bought some 2" foam from the hardware store.
You can see in the corner where I tested some spray paints on the foam board while at the hardware store.
I used a router with a plunge bit to route out bricks into the foam.
I routed some smooth edges on the lower solid pieces to look like a solid cement block.
Proving to myself that I could use the dremil tool to make bones.
How I made the bones.
Did a paint test on a sample piece to see how it would look.
I used a solvent based paint to eat away the styrofoam and give it texture. Mostly in the mortar lines.
The frame is made of a very basic 2x4 backing and glued and screwed the styrofoam to the wood.
Assembled the top of the arch using wires to hold pieces in place till the glue dried.
Puttied the cracks and holes.
Black mortar painted first, then taped off. (1pint) water based
Base layer is a gray water based latex. (1qt.)
Black distressing using a matte black spray paint. (1 can)
Stone paint was the final layer. 2 coats, (2 cans)
Once you have the water based latex paint down. It will protect the styrofoam from any solvent based paint.
All of these types of paint can be purchased at the local hardware/paint store.
The first layer of stone simulating paint.
Note: The mortar lines are still taped off
We just added some shredded garbage bags behind everything to hide the wood and gaps between the house and the arch.
The skulls, chains and "Beware!" sign were bought at various Halloween stores.
Night time shot with some eerie green lighting for effect.
Here is this years project:
A 9 foot 6 inch; Grim Reaper costume.
(Check out the 13 second video at the link)